Tuesday, November 15, 2005

December 8, 1980


"I heard a voice in my head saying, 'Do it, do it." Mark David Chapman recounts, "and as he passed me, I pulled out the gun and aimed at his back and pulled the trigger five times in succession."

Chapman said that his compulsion to kill Lennon began one day in his apartment in Hawaii where he was sitting on the floor looking at The Beatles' "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" album. His animosity began to consume Chapman.

"There was a successful man who kind of had the world on a chain, so to speak, and there I was, not even a link in that chain, just a person with no personality," Chapman said, "and something in me just broke."

~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~"~

The album, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, is my favorite of all time. I have had some very meaningful experiences while listening to it but never imagined that it could mean different things to different people. The album is more than just music. It is more than just a story. I cannot understand what in it drove this Mark David Chapman to kill John Lennon but hope that the parole board keeps this man off of the streets.

Sgt Peppers one and only lonely hearts club band.

I cannot tell you but I know it's mine.

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore, waiting to take you away.

I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time - it can't get no worse.

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong, I'm right, where I belong.

Fun is the one thing that money can't buy.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

When you've seen beyond yourself, you may find peace of mind is waiting there.

Indicate precicsely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.

Give us a wink and make me think of you.

Somebody needs to know the time, glad that I'm here.

We'd like to thank you once again.

Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

That is, I think it's not too bad.

Very strange...
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: